By Chad Prigmore
Jesus tells His followers in Matthew 22:37 that, "You shall love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." If we love the Lord that much then anything that insults Him or is contrary to His word and commands should repulse us.
1. Bill Wilson personally insulted Jesus Christ by claiming that he was "completing the works that Christ didn't finish" and he claimed himself to be "a reincarnation of Christ." (From a letter written in 1952 by Bill Wilson's Secretary, Henrietta Seiberling).
2. On page 58 of "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions" a direct insult to and denial of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins is made. The claim is made that, "Our moral inventory had persuaded us that all-round forgiveness was desirable, but it was only when we resolutely tackled Step Five that we inwardly knew we'd be able to receive forgiveness and give it, too."
3. At most AA or other 12 step meetings the Lord's prayer is recited aloud by the entire group. This is an insult to Jesus Christ because His holy prayer is recited by those in the room that deny Him and participate in a false religion (AA) that denies His divinity. It is also in direct defiance of the command to Jesus' followers to not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.
4. Jesus tells us in John 14:6, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
5. Once again Jesus is insulted by the book "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions" when the doctrine of salvation by Grace Alone, through Faith Alone, in Christ Alone is completely denied on page 34 of that book which states, "Like all the remaining Steps, Step Three calls for affirmative action, for it is only by action that we can cut away the self-will which has always blocked the entry of God - or, if you like, a Higher Power - into our lives. Faith, to be sure, is necessary, but faith alone can avail nothing. We can have faith, yet keep God out of our lives. Therefore our problem now becomes just how and by what specific means shall we be able to let Him in? Step Three represents our first attempt to do this."
This is only a small sampling of hundreds if not thousands of the Christ denying insults and apostasy that permeate the AA 12 step program and it's accompanying literature.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17
By Justin James
The question of whether or not a "recovery program" is needed gets asked a lot. People tend to think that we NEED a plan in order to achieve recovery. The fact is, we don't need a plan.... a plan will do nothing but give you another routine to follow, and hopefully keep you sober a little longer. What we need is faith.
Isaiah 12:2 - “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”
John 5:5 - Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
Matthew 14:31 - Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
Romans 10:9 - Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Psalm 116:1 - I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy.
Matthew 21:21-22 - And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
Luke 1:37 - For nothing will be impossible with God.”
Mark 11:22 - And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God.
1 Peter 5:7 - Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Romans 8:31 - What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
All of these verses address something that I struggled with so much during my addiction. I just could not rely on the fact that I didn't have to do anything other than have faith in God, and desire grow in Him. It can be done without a program. It can be done without having to constantly worry about using again. It can be done without having to worry about who your hanging out with, or what bars are around. It can be done in peace, and it only gets better. These are just a few of the many verses that assure us that if we have faith in God and we rely on His word, He will give us a new life with Him.